Thursday, June 11, 2009

Grilling Season: Tasty Cajun Rub

As noted earlier, this is grilling season, and here's a recipe I've found handy. It's easy to play with the quantities to alter the taste to your own preference.

Cajun Rub

I don’t know about you, but I really enjoy a Cajun seasoned, lightly smoked pork loin, or boneless, skinless chicken breast. This recipe is one I like to use for pork, and chicken (chicken w/out barding with garlic)


1 T. salt, coarse (kosher or sea)
2 T garlic powder
2 T onion powder
2 T thyme, dried
2 T. oregano, dried
2 T paprika
1 T file’ powder (ground sassafras root)
1 T black peppers, freshly ground
1 to 3 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste


Combine all the ingredients in a jar; twist the lid on airtight, and shake to mix. Store away from heat and light for up to 6 months.

Makes about 1 cup; enough for 6 to 8 pounds of meat or seafood

If I’m doing a pork loin, I like to bard it with slivers of fresh garlic, before liberally rubbing with the above mix. About 1 large clove to 2 lbs. of pork loin. If you can control the heat, start with it at high, then reduce it as soon as the meat is placed in the smoker, otherwise just use moderate heat. Cook ‘til done.

What’s nice about this is that the leftovers can be sliced very thin (less than 1/8 in.), reheated, and served on a nice heavy roll with your favorite sharp cole slaw (heavy on the onions in it, w/ a bit of dill).

1 comment:

  1. Yes it is grilling season again.I tried cajun seasoning on my pork chops before and it tasted good.If you want to look at the collection of tips and recipes I have for grilling you can visit www.cookingandgrillinoutdoors.com

    ReplyDelete