Thursday, August 20, 2009

Weekend Workshop: Canned Dilly Beans

If there's one thing you can always find in bulk this season, its green beans. I visited the Chesterhill Produce Auction this past week in preparation for Can-a-thon 2009, and picked up a bushel and a half of green beans for 18 dollars. CPA is an excellent place to go if you're like me and enjoy putting up LOTS of food for the winter. Last year I canned 32 quarts of Dilly Beans-- now that's a lot of pickles!  I'd have thought I'd be sick of Dilly Beans by now, but it's not true. I am so excited to make more for this year. 

I thought I'd try a new recipe this year, spice things up a bit.  The recipe below is for a mere 4 pints, so if you're like me and have overflowing amounts of green beans, you'll have to do some old fashioned arithmetic. Happy canning!

Canned Dilly Beans

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 2 2/3 cups white vinegar
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
  • ½ tablespoon cloves
  • 10 cloves garlic, cut in half
  • ½ tablespoon allspice
  • 6 dried small hot dried chiles 
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 tablespoon peppercorns
  • 3 tablespoons kosher salt
Directions:
  1. Combine sugar, vinegar and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
  2. Mix all the spices and salt together.
  3. Pack fresh green beans tightly into clean sterilized jars. Divide the spices into the jars. Pour boiling pickle brine into jars to cover beans and spices, leaving about ½ inch head space. Cover with lids and bands. 
  4. Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes. Carefully remove hot jars. Let cool at room temperature for a day.
  5. Let jars mellow for two weeks before using.

Makes 4 pints

No comments:

Post a Comment