This seems to be the summer for peaches, with local trees bending with the weight of these delightful fruits. Here's a delicious summer dessert, perfect for any occasion.
Summer Peach Tart
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons peach preserves
- 3 to 4 firm white peaches, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375° and position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and butter and pulse to blend. Add the whole egg and egg yolk and process until a soft dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface and knead just until it comes together. Press the dough evenly over the bottom and up the side of a 10 1/2-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the preserves on the dough and arrange the peach wedges in concentric circles on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the peaches are barely tender and the crust is still a bit pale.
- Brush the remaining 2 tablespoons of preserves over the peaches and bake for about 30 minutes longer, until the peaches are tender and the crust is golden.
- Immediately dust the tart with confectioners sugar and let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.