Well winter is certainly upon us and nothing warms the belly better than a big bowl of chili. I've been doing alot of cooking lately for a hungry work crew as we continue to build our house, so warm filling food is a must. This is sort of an on-the-fly recipe, made without measuring, but I find that those are usually the best meals, so I thought I'd share my process.
On-the-fly Chicken Black Bean Chili
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 small red peppers chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 small chicken breasts cut into tiny pieces
- 1 qt. canned black beans (I'll be posting how to home can your own soon!)
- 1 can chick peas, rinsed
- 1 qt. canned whole tomatoes
- ground cayenne pepper
- fresh ground cumin
- Saute onion and red onions in a few tablespoons of olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and garlic
- Add about 1/2tbsp turmeric and a few dashes of paprika
- Add about a tbsp ground cumin (the more the better in my opinion!)
- Add cayenne to your liking and salt to taste.
- When chicken is cooked through, transfer to a large soup pot.
- Add black beans, chick peas and tomatoes and let simmer.
- Serve with a dollop of homemade sour cream and top with shredded local cheddar.